Jun 6, 2008

tgif

This will have to be short. I am using my internet time to look up information about traveling to Portugal. The beaches there are apparently amazing, and I´ve found several hostals for around 15 euros a night. Hopefully some friends and i will go 2 weekends from now and have some quality beach time. I´m pretty stoked.

I went to the Museo de Bellas Artes (museum of fine arts) today with some friends and our professor, since he cancelled class today. It was awesome. There was a Segolla exhibit, and it was free to get in. I feel like i don´t know enough about art to fully appreciate it, but it was pretty awesome based on my limited understanding. And in the course of the tour i found out that the same director who did Pan´s labyrinth is going to direct The Hobbit to come out within the next few years. I´m excited. But back to the museum, it was beautiful. The most interesting part to me is to compare the art styles and themes from different eras. For a long time all the depictions of Jesus as a baby look like a miniature adult, except that his body is disproportionate. I am amazed by the incredibly different interpretation of Jesus and his life story. He is depicted as a transcendant infant or a pasty, agonized dying man upon the cross. Always he is distinguished from the rest of the people, never as one of them. And he pains because of the people, not with him. Jesus is so distant to these people, and always has been. I see this place that is the epitomy of a religious nation, and yet I feel like it has missed the point. Jesus was no politican -- he was one of us. He ached with us and for us, and he epitomized the life that we were meant to live. We all wonder about the meaning of life, but it is before our veyr eyes. As americans we all know the stories, and they are filled with such truth. They are not truth themselves, but I see now more than ever that the real message that Jesus brought tells all. The problem is in interpretation.

That turned into a rant...and now i have to go look up bus fares to Portugal. Everything is so expensive here. it´s like it´s priced the same as dollar amounts, but then you have to multiply by 1.5 to convert to Euros. Eughk.

Love love love, and some more love.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Portugal beaches....sounds amazing! I was thinking about our visit together to the art museum in Austin, looking at the religious paintings....your comments are so true. I'm so glad you are experiencing the art of Spain along with everything else. Classes cancelled today? Just like here...Have a great weekend in Cordoba and can't wait to read about it on Monday! Love you so....Mom

Anne said...

I am enjoying this! Ty has been in China for a few days now starting his summer study abroad.....I wish he would do a similar blog...but I am not holding my breath!
He and I had our first skype call over the internet and it sounded great.....better than a local call on his cell phone. I look forward to reading more of your adventures!